ISCAS and openEuler are launching an alternative to Google Summer of Code

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Tue May 11 11:19:03 BST 2021

On Tuesday, 11 May 2021 04:49:10 CEST Philippe Cloutier wrote:
> Hi Guilherme,
>
> Le 2021-05-09 à 14:46, Guilherme a écrit :
> > Hello KDE Community,
> >
> > The Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS)and the
> > openEuler Linux distribution are launching their own alternative to
> > Google's Summer of Code initiative.
> >
> > Accoding to Phoronix, they're "providing university-aged students
> > around the world funding by the Institute of Software Chinese Academy
> > of Sciences to work on community open-source projects." and the
> > "Mentors will also be paid for their time."
> >
> > The deadline for communities to apply is May 20th. More details can be
> > seen here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/community/> (community
> > guidelines), here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/mentor/> (for
> > Mentors) and here <https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/help/en/> (FAQ).
> >
> > There's also more info on Phoronix
> > <https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=China-Summer-2021-Ope
> > n-Source>
> >
> > I don't have time or the expertise to contributewith this initiative,
> > but I think this is something the KDE Community could keep an eye on,
> > as it could help with the development of KDE software just like Google
> > Summer of Code does.
> >
> > Thanks for reading.
>
> Thanks to you for sharing, I hadn't heard about that yet. It would be
> interesting to find or create and share a comparison with GSoC.
>
> <Snip>

This is not about monetary incentive. This is about building up a KDE
Community in China, like we are doing in India. We want to help Chinese
students to contribute and break into FLOSS via KDE, and do so on their own
terms and their own turf. We are working this on several fronts and this is
potentially one way we can explore.

TL/DR: Compensation is irrelevant.

Cheers

Paul