On a brighter note

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Mar 27 09:57:03 GMT 2021

On Saturday, 27 March 2021 02:10:20 GMT Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> Hello all, I became aware today of Declaration of Digital Autonomy (draft
> 0.1): https://techautonomy.org/
>
> This seems like a good beginning to a general way to frame the issues we
> care about. I'm not about to abandon the phrase "free software" however, we
> need more than free software. We need tech that serves the needs of people
> rather than corporations.

  It does indeed! Software freedom is certainly an important thing, but it
does seem to suffer (however it was originally intended) somewhat from
forgetting that software is only a part of the situation. Digital Autonomy has
a much broader scope, and is much more in line with what KDE's mission
statement says about people having control over their own digital life and
enjoys freedom and privacy. So yes, definitely, just as a term, digital
autonomy rings much clearer to me than software freedom.
  As you also say, i'm not about to abandon the term entirely, it is a really
solid descriptor when talking about specifically software, and how "open
source" is just not the same as "free software". But having another bit to add
to our vocabulary on the topic is very much a good thing :)

--
..dan / leinir..
http://leinir.dk/