Apology

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:02:51 GMT 2021

Hi Niccolò,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Niccolò Ve <niccolo.venerandi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > Posts about Richard Stallman are off-topic and will not be allowed.
>
> This is... plain out wrong. Off topic means off topic.

The KDE Community list exists, according to the subscription page:

The purpose of the mailing list is to provide a place for non-technical
> information and discussions which are relevant to the KDE community as a
> whole. All people who consider themselves to be part of the KDE community
> are invited to join. Conversations on the mailing list are respectful,
> considerate, polite and constructive following our KDE Code of Conduct.
> The list collects announcements, information and results from discussions
> in other places and offers a place to get feedback on non-technical
> questions or plans of relevance for the whole KDE community.

Anything else is off-topic.

> A RMS reply to a thread about RMS is NOT off topic.

The original post was about the FSF and their governance. Unfortunately
"RMS pro/con" hijacked that thread and caused this list to be moderated.

> If you want to shutdown the discussion, just say so.

I did so.

> The fact that RMS is not "the issue" (he's surely _an_ issue...) does not
> change that
> the kde community email was about RMS. I sent an email 10 hours *before*
> this apology.
> It was rejected just* now.* As offtopic.

I live in the US; most of the other mods live in Europe. If they had wanted
to act on your email they could have done so, but I believe I was the one
to reject your post. There was nothing time-sensitive in it.

I did not like that thread, but this handling of the situation is plain out
> bad. This apology
> mail only made things worse. If I did not know about KDE, I'd say that
> they are censoring
> the discussion. Instead I'm just embarrassed.

Requiring lists to be on-topic is not censorship, which *governments* do.
We're volunteers trying to keep lists "respectful, considerate, polite and
constructive." Had the discussion kept to that, even though off-topic, it
probably could have been solved by a warning.

Even the original motivation for putting the ML under moderation could've
> been worded better,
> it raised complaints from some people I know.

Yes, I should have followed my own advice and removed my personal thoughts.
That was not constructive.

Putting an email under manual moderation requires that manual moderation to
> happen much,
> much faster than 10 hours. If help is needed in moderating, please say so.
> If you want to shutdown the discussion about RMS, say it was getting too
> aggressive, not that
> it's "offtopic".
>
> Niccolò

We're all volunteers. Help is always welcome! List administration is not
the most interesting job, but it is not usually difficult either. If you
are interested, write to "$listname-owner at kde.org" (in this case,
kde-community-owner at kde.org) and volunteer your services.

Valorie

--