Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Mar 12 23:57:15 GMT 2021

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, 11:25 am Ingo Klöcker, <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> On Freitag, 12. März 2021 21:44:09 CET Carl Schwan wrote:
> > Le vendredi, mars 12, 2021 7:49 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> a
> > écrit :
> > > It also isn't as simple as just adding more server resources, as in
> some
> > > cases the place something will be moving from is a donated machine, and
> > > we prefer to ensure these are well utilised - meaning something needs
> > > move back there in response. We also prefer to move services as little
> as
> > > possible to minimize downtime. If we were to simply add more machines,
> > > then we would end up with empty donated machines - which is a waste of
> > > the donation, as well as not the best use of eV resources.
> >
> > I'm not sure I fully understand your last point. If we add a new machine
> for
> > a new service this shouldn't create an empty donated machine. I'm not
> > really an expert in things related to sysadmins but looking at the price
> at
> > for VPS in Hetzner that should be able to handle a service similar to
> > krita-artists.org in term of storage shouldn't cost the e.V. more than
> €15
> > a month. I think the e.V. can afford that to provide a lively place for
> the
> > community to ask questions and discuss things related to KDE.

The problem isn't that we don't have capacity within the existing systems -
we do. It's just that the workloads are currently deployed in a manner that
means Discourse isn't able to be deployed on the machines that do have
capacity.

With regards to my points above, we are currently in the process of moving
scripty and l10n.kde.org to a new, bigger system.

Following that the machine which was running them will be empty and
available for redeployment, subject to fitting within the limits of that
system (which is donated).

If we were to get a machine specifically for this role, then we would leave
that machine empty and unused.

> I'm pretty sure that neither hardware nor money is the problem. The
> problem is
> that each additional server increases the maintenance burden/cost. And
> since
> we are applying for the Blauer Engel certification, we should also try to
> minimize energy consumption and consumption of resources.

This as well - it is definitely preferrable to keep the number of systems
we operate to a minimum.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Cheers,