Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 12 22:25:39 GMT 2021

On Freitag, 12. März 2021 21:44:09 CET Carl Schwan wrote:
> Le vendredi, mars 12, 2021 7:49 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> a
> écrit :
> > It also isn't as simple as just adding more server resources, as in some
> > cases the place something will be moving from is a donated machine, and
> > we prefer to ensure these are well utilised - meaning something needs to
> > move back there in response. We also prefer to move services as little as
> > possible to minimize downtime. If we were to simply add more machines,
> > then we would end up with empty donated machines - which is a waste of
> > the donation, as well as not the best use of eV resources.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand your last point. If we add a new machine for
> a new service this shouldn't create an empty donated machine. I'm not
> really an expert in things related to sysadmins but looking at the price at
> for VPS in Hetzner that should be able to handle a service similar to
> krita-artists.org in term of storage shouldn't cost the e.V. more than €15
> a month. I think the e.V. can afford that to provide a lively place for the
> community to ask questions and discuss things related to KDE.

I'm pretty sure that neither hardware nor money is the problem. The problem is
that each additional server increases the maintenance burden/cost. And since
we are applying for the Blauer Engel certification, we should also try to
minimize energy consumption and consumption of resources.

Regards,
Ingo