Formal request to set up a KDE Discourse instance

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 00:21:14 GMT 2021

On 2/23/21 4:07 PM, Nate Graham wrote:
> On 2/23/21 3:53 PM, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> May I take this as a formal request from yourself that Gitlab CI is
>> deprioritised and delayed?
>>
>> Based on the extremely frequent requests we get concerning it in
>> #kde-sysadmin I am not sure if your request here is in line with
>> general community consensus.
>>
>> Also, be aware that Sysadmin currently has other infrastructure level
>> projects underway needed to get us off Ubuntu 16.04, which are
>> currently delayed because we haven't had anyone volunteer to assist us
>> with adding support for OAuth2/MyKDE to Reimbursements.
>> Based on the above, I assume you are also requesting that we delay
>> this, and accept the corresponding security issues that will accompany
>> it when Ubuntu 16.04 loses support in the coming months in order to
>> get this actioned?
>
> Hmm, I don't see where I suggested any of those things.
>
> If you folks are really that overloaded, we need to figure out how to
> fix that. A workload that exceeds available resources doesn't help
> anyone. The last time this came up, people called for additional
> volunteers to assist. Did that end up bearing any fruit?

Anyway I apologize if my tone was off. I wasn't meaning to accuse
sysadmins of anything, and I guess I didn't realize how overloaded the
team is right now.

That being what it is, perhaps a more productive line of discussion
would be to ask: "what do you need from us so that these things that
need to happen, and that we all want, can reach fruition faster?" You
don't have to suffer in silence! :)

Nate