Rebranding the release service

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Sat Feb 20 17:39:45 GMT 2021

On 2/20/21 9:35 AM, Philippe Cloutier wrote:
> Le 2021-02-20 à 10:38, Luigi Toscano a écrit :
>>> In any case, "KDE Gear" sure is short and makes some sense if we
>>> consider it
>>> related to Extragear, but for those who don't know KDE's history, I am
>>> skeptical that gears are a good way to evoke applications.
>> It doesn't need to evoke applications, the idea is to have a brand.
>

> Right; if it's not just applications, evoking applications is not as
> important. However, if it largely consists of applications, I suppose it
> remains non-ideal for the branding to primarily evoke internals.

FWIW, as a native English speaker, I like the word "gear" because it has
multiple meanings, apart from the historical link to the word "Extragear":

1. Metaphorical synonym for "equipment" or "stuff"
2. Visual reference to the KDE logo/brand
3. Association with technical engineering disciplines, and KDE is known
for rigorous, high-quality engineering

Overall I think it's a great brand name.

Nate