Rebranding the release service

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:35:09 GMT 2021

Le 2021-02-20 à 10:38, Luigi Toscano a écrit :
> Philippe Cloutier ha scritto:
>> Hi Jonathan,

>>> +1, too
>>
>> If I understand correctly, this is discussing announcements like
>> https://kde.org/announcements/releases/2021-02-apps-update/
>>
>> But what exactly are we trying to name here? A bundle which contains all KDE
>> applications as the ticket indicates?
> The thing called "release service", i.e. a set of artifacts (applications,
> libraries, even data, whose release process has been delegated to the "release
> service" team and happens at the same time.

Thank you for the quick reply Luigi

The "release service" in question can be obtained from
https://download.kde.org/stable/release-service/

https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle#Releasing
describes it:

> Includes a range of libraries, applications and developer tools
I understand from this new information that the "bunch of releases"
under discussion do *not* correspond to what was previously called "KDE
Applications" (although it may *include* KDE Applications).

Do we have a better description of "release service"? If not, I suppose
now would be a good time to define it, clarifying why a given library,
application or tool would be included or excluded from that "range".

>> In any case, "KDE Gear" sure is short and makes some sense if we consider it
>> related to Extragear, but for those who don't know KDE's history, I am
>> skeptical that gears are a good way to evoke applications.
> It doesn't need to evoke applications, the idea is to have a brand.

Right; if it's not just applications, evoking applications is not as
important. However, if it largely consists of applications, I suppose it
remains non-ideal for the branding to primarily evoke internals.

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com