Fundraising in KDE

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 10:59:49 BST 2020

El dijous, 24 de setembre de 2020, a les 11:42:16 CEST, Nicolas Fella va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I would be cautious about creating a system that allows targeted
> donations for specific features/requests.
> I don't want the e.V. to be in
> a position where work is done/prioritized because it brings in money.

That's one of the reasons why you're part of KDE e.V. To make sure the money is spent correctly :)

> Not having this kind of money-driven-development is a great strength of
> community-driven open source projects.

That's not going away. We already have proof of it. There has always been people doing KDE paid development and it has never been a huge issue from my almost 20 years of memory collaborating with the project.

> We have a list of possible
> providers for such requests already (disclosure: I work for a company on
> that list).

I disagree, https://ev.kde.org/consultants/ is for "i want to implement X, how much it will cost? 20K€? Fine here you have, now do it for me" not for "i have 100€ a year, please let me pitch in with more people so we can hire a developer to work full time on improving Qt for KDE needs".

Cheers,
  Albert