Fundraising in KDE

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Thu Sep 24 10:42:16 BST 2020

Hi,

I think the discussions about the technical implementation of our
donation system and whether or not to pay developers using the funds are
relatively orthogonal. Updating our current system is a good idea IMO
regardless of what comes out of the latter discussion.

If Carl thinks that CiviCRM is not a feasible solution from a technical
POV he has my full support for leading the work on a replacement system.

I would be cautious about creating a system that allows targeted
donations for specific features/requests. I don't want the e.V. to be in
a position where work is done/prioritized because it brings in money.
Not having this kind of money-driven-development is a great strength of
community-driven open source projects. We have a list of possible
providers for such requests already (disclosure: I work for a company on
that list).

Cheers

Nico