Fundraising in KDE

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Sat Sep 26 23:49:13 BST 2020

 > On 9/24/20 3:42 AM, Nicolas Fella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the discussions about the technical implementation of our
> donation system and whether or not to pay developers using the funds are
> relatively orthogonal. Updating our current system is a good idea IMO
> regardless of what comes out of the latter discussion.
>
> If Carl thinks that CiviCRM is not a feasible solution from a technical
> POV he has my full support for leading the work on a replacement system.

Like Nico, I would be inclined to trust Carl on this, as he just won an
Akademy Award for his excellent work on KDE's web presence and
infrastructure. :)

I'm not in a technical position to evaluate whether CiviCRM is capable
of meeting current or future needs, but I feel like I've been hearing
the system described as a problem to be solved for several years now.
The fact that nobody seems very happy with it, and that it's been in
this state for quite a while, does seem like it's a bit concerning.

https://ev.kde.org/consultants/ is for "i want to implement X,
> how much it will cost? 20K€? Fine here you have, now do it for me" not for
> "i have 100€ a year, please let me pitch in with more people so we can
> hire a developer to work full time on improving Qt for KDE needs".

I agree, and this is why I think it's so important for the e.V. to start
hiring developers. Right now the "hook" (so to speak) for donating is
fairly weak. I think potential donators are much more excited about
supporting the technical development of our software than they are
supporting travel reimbursements, conferences, infrastructure,
non-technical personnel, etc. (if they even know what the money is used
for in the first place). Even though these expenses are very important,
I think in the minds of the general public it's harder to connect them
with tangible results.

On the other hand, if people knew that their money would help hire
some/more developers, I think we could eventually reach 100,000€ per
month just like Blender gets. And this money could also be used for
critical non-development expenses as needed.

Nate