Proposal: Recurring donations - increase flexibility

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Jul 30 15:13:15 BST 2020

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 7:06 PM XYQuadrat <mail at xyquadrat.ch> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Let me preface this email that I do not have a lot of background
> knowledge on the monetary policies of KDE and therefore my proposal
> might be not sensible at all.
>
> For individuals who want to support KDE on a regular basis, we have the
> "Join the game!" initiative (see https://relate.kde.org).
> Currently, there is only the option to pay 100€ on a yearly basis or
> split those 100€ into 25€ on a quarterly basis.
> In my opinion, this is a rather strict and inflexible concept. Regular
> donations lead to a more consistent source of donation income since they
> fluctuate much less than one-time donations.
> I therefore believe that it would be beneficial to allow people to
> donate less/more on a regular basis.
>
> One option is to simply allow anyone to donate a customizable amount per
> year (with some minimal amount of say 10€), instead of the fixed 100€.
>
> Another option would be to introduce the by now often used concept of
> tiers - fixed amounts that then grant some small benefit such as being
> named on a KDE website, receiving a small "Thank You" card or similar.
> These tiers would then cover a wider range of amounts (e.g. 10€ - 50 € -
> 100 € - 250€ - 500€).
>
> What do people think about this? (Of course, in the end this requires
> approval of the board. But I think this shouldn't be all too
> controversial of a change.)
>
> Best regards,
> Julian / xyquadrat

Hi,
Yes, this has been planned for a while, it was never executed for
technical reasons we are still trying to address.
I am hopeful we'll get there soon enough.

Thanks for caring!
Aleix

PS: as for the right place to discuss this, I'd say it's okay to bring
up the issues here as it's a place where we all get to speak our
minds. In cases such as this one where it's more about taking action,
I'd like to remind everyone we have a Fundraising Working Group. If
anyone wants to join and help, you can reach out to
kde-ev-campaign at kde.org.