reddit r_KDE uses KDE logo in LGBT colors

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jul 12 16:31:38 BST 2020

On Sonntag, 12. Juli 2020 12:13:34 CEST sabayon11 wrote:
> I have a question:
> Is it legal for reddit moderators of r_KDE to use KDE logo in LGBT
> colors.

For me the logo is displayed in blue. Maybe it has been changed back already.
(Okay, you wrote "It is now off." at the end of your mail.)

I suppose the logo was changed around Pride Day.

> Is it consistent with logo license?

I'd say yes. "Copying of the KDE Logo is subject to the LGPL copyright
license." ([1]) The LGPL allows modifications.

The full text on https://kde.org/stuff/clipart.php reads:
"The KDE logo can be used freely as long as it is not used to refer to
projects other than KDE itself. There is no formal procedure to use it.
Copying of the KDE Logo is subject to the LGPL copyright license. Trading and
branding with the KDE Logo is subject to our trademark licence. For more
details on their usage please see the KDE CIG Logo page."

> https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/
>
> Is it in line with KDE code of conduct - to support certain groups
> that are politically active and be selective in this choice?

I'd say yes, as long as those "groups that are politically active" are
compatible with KDE's values as spelled out in the code of conduct. In my
opinion, this applies to the LGBT community.

> For
> example: why they don't support women rights in middle-east region?

Ask the moderators of Kreddit. I'm sure they are open to your suggestions.

> Who have the right to decide?

Concerning Kreddit? I guess the moderators of Kreddit decided this.

> Do you realize that it can stop certain people from funding KDE? Of
> course on the other hand it can make others, like George Soros to fund
> but does KDE really want to go in that direction and engage in such
> politics. Pretending that it has nothing to do with politics is a pure
> lie.

KDE is openly pro-LGBTQ+, e.g. we had LGBTQ+ dinners as part of the last few
Akademy conferences.

> What other KDE contributors think about it? For example: do all KDE
> funders support engaging software community in non-software activity?
>
> I know that reddit is separate website and has nothing to do with this
> forum, however this is social and community issue as well.
>
> What about adding to KDE code of conduct: KDE is not engage in social
> or political dispute. KDE doesn't discriminate nor support any groups
> other than Free Software.

Free Software is highly political. There's no way for KDE not to engage in
political dispute. By the way, we also support the climate crisis movement.

> Personally I believe there are thousands of other better places on the
> Internet to express whatever point of view someone has and KDE and its
> community should not be involved in such activities.

KDE does not exist in a closed bubble. KDE is part of the world and as such
the community will continue to express its point of views.

> It is now off. But this doesn't change the meaning of this action.
> My first message about it to this list was on 3rd of July but has not
> been accepted by moderators yet, so I had to subscribe.

Regards,
Ingo

[1] https://kde.org/stuff/clipart.php