The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Jun 12 04:11:31 BST 2020

It's quite possible to take a large and technically flawed project and
fix the technical flaws over time. Arguably this has happened in Baloo
over the past year or two, and I see far fewer user complaints about it
than I did in the past. It's working almost perfectly for me. I don't
know enough about Akonadi's technical undrpinnings to say whether this
will be possible there, or whether it's just an impossible undertaking
though.

However I think there is a bigger challenge that just the technical
issues. My interactions in bug reports have been quite negative, I have
to say, and I don't feel like the developer culture is very welcoming
right now. This probably has to change or else the project will fail to
attract the kind of manpower needed to achieve a state of greater
reliability, which I think needs to be the top priority in business-ish
software. I'm currently using Thunderbird as my email client and it is
boringly reliable. Everything works 100%, 100% of the time. There is no
drama whatsoever, and no maintenance required. That's the goal.

Nate