The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Jun 12 12:29:48 BST 2020

Nate Graham - 12.06.20, 05:11:31 CEST:
> software. I'm currently using Thunderbird as my email client and it is
> boringly reliable. Everything works 100%, 100% of the time. There is
> no drama whatsoever, and no maintenance required. That's the goal

Seriously +1 on that.

This exactly matches my experience with Evolution and Evolution EWS for
accessing work mail (stored on Office 365). I switched to Evolution there
cause with Akonadi EWS sending mails often failed.

No crash, no maintenance, no drama, no nothing. This thing *just works*.

And I'd say the scope of Evolution has similar complexity than the scope
of KDEPIM. At least the feature sets are somewhat similar. I bet KDEPIM
and Akonadi may be a bit more flexible and have a feature more here and
there, but IMAP, POP3, locally stored mail, EWS, calender, address book,
GPG support and a lot of other features are all there.

And again: This is no offense meant. I am grateful for all the work
KDEPIM developers did. All the free time they volunteered! I expressed
that gratitude several times and I am happy to express it again. I
helped with bug triage, user support, I defended Akonadi, tried to help
to bring people together. With considerable help of KDE developers I
helped to fix a serious past performance issue with maildir resource
(needless sorting of filenames during folder sync)…

However being grateful does not somehow disallow to raise an issue that
exists since a long time. The issue, that Akonadi based KDEPIM fails to
provide the reliability and speed that users expect to experience when
they use a PIM application suite.

"akonadictl fsck", "item without RID", database administration,
duplicated mail, stuck Akonadi resources, waiting for one or several
minutes before being able to reply to a mail in KMail and things like
that – no user should ever have to deal with *any of that* just so use
PIM applications, no matter how good they otherwise are.

Being grateful does not somehow exclude raising the issue that all of
this is still there with KDEPIM and Akonadi 20.04. And that all of this
has been here for years.

Quite the contrary. I think it is a disservice to the KDEPIM project to
pretend that this is not there. At least I can imagine that developers
like to have happy users.

I see people invested a lot of time. And I am truly grateful for that.

It is just that the investment of time did somehow not lead to a result
where the stability, reliability and speed of KDEPIM matches that of
Evolution or Thunderbird. And by stating that I do not mean to diminish
the progress KDEPIM developers achieved in any way.

I do think it is important to see this. And accept it. And then it can
be possible to move beyond… Not seeing it seems to keep KDEPIM stuck
where it currently is, *despite* all the effort.

Best,
--
Martin