The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Thu Jun 11 19:41:58 BST 2020

Hi Martin,

thank you very much for bringing this up.
I had a minor rant about the situation on the enterprise list back when I also
used KDE apps at work, I'm afraid from what I can see the situation is mostly
the same. I ended up with a messed up DB a couple of times that I was only
able to solve by simply deleting and re-adding the IMAP account.

As a funny bit of irony, I tried to reply to your message earlier, but kmail
wouldn't let me because it asked me, with a pop up, to wait for transmission
of the message for a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately I also don't have any ready-made solution for it, we can't
really force people to work on a certain product, and the whole akonadi-stack
is probably also not something terribly new-person-friendly.

I know that there was an alternative being worked on, but I lost track of that
as well. Maybe making it a goal could help, or to have some sort of sprint
around it. Or, even though I personally am usually very much against these,
some sort of bounty.

In any case I think the situation needs improvement and I'm glad you brought
it up, so this is mostly in support of the request, because it stayed reply-
less for a while.

Kind regards,

Christian