A safe haven for the community's memories

Kenny Duffus kenny at kde.org
Mon Jan 27 08:06:11 GMT 2020

On Monday, 27 January 2020 06:23:02 GMT Piyush Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello KDE Community
>
> I love attending community events, and I am pretty sure most of us in the
> community can relate to the problem I am about to mention.
>
> Almost always, photographs, videos and other forms of digital memorabilia
> are so badly dispersed among the attendees, many of us have barely any
> photographs from the event. The only way to get the photos we want is by
> immediately getting the photographs on our phone then and there, during the
> event. The alternative after the event concludes and everyone is back home
> safely, is to expect the sender to send the photographs as a mail
> attachment or some other way that is generally a pain.
> So, this mail thread aims to initiate a discussion on the prospect of
> setting up a Kloud, of sorts.
>
> At the recent conf.kde.in 2020 that happened in New Delhi, India, members
> of the KDE Community briefly discussed about the advantages of an online,
> shared server storage where the community can upload photographs and/ or
> short videos of the events graced by the KDE Community.
> One good example of this practice is LAS, the Linux App Summit which has a
> similar idea implemented [1] to collect photographs from the event.
> The current best solution as far as I know, is https://share.kde.org ,
> which is limited to just 100 MB.
> Would it be feasible for the KDE Community, especially our sysadmins, to
> host a server for this purpose? :-)
>
> References
> [1] : https://las2019.bcnfs.org/doku.php?id=wiki:lasphotos

Hi Piyush

For Akademy we have been trying to collect peoples public albums of photos for a while

https://community.kde.org/Events/Akademy/2010/Pictures
https://community.kde.org/Akademy/2019/Photos

However there has never been a huge uptake by attendees to add their photos which is a shame, of course not everyone would want to

It would be interesting to know if having a central KDE place would encourage more people to add theirs. For Akademy we have wondered about that before

--

	Kenny
	(Pronouns: he/him)