A safe haven for the community's memories

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jan 30 09:43:09 GMT 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:24 PM Piyush Aggarwal
<piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Piyush,

> On Wed, 29 Jan, 2020, 2:42 PM Ben Cooksley, <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:16 AM Piyush Aggarwal
>> <piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >   Thanks for taking this discussion forward, Adriaan and Carl.

>> > I cannot access that task, Adriaan. Perhaps if the task does not include any sensitive content, we can put it on the promo task board for everyone to help us with? :-)
>>
>> Please note that Sysadmin tasks are shielded by mechanisms that mean
>> placing it on another board will not make it accessible to others (so
>> adding it to the Promo board will not make it accessible to you)
>

> I understand that. I thought the part where this task is opened for everyone to view was implicit in my earlier statement (if there is no sensitive content, as I said). I personally think this problem deserves a task of its own, and the idea to have a task for this on the promo board was not mine alone, but rather suggested by Paul.

That task was regarding us getting bulk storage support for
share.kde.org, mainly to allow for us to handle large amounts of data
such as raw video footage.
Because this request is different, it should be handled through it's own ticket.

We will need to set this up as a separate set of shared folders
though, rather than one under the existing Promo hierarchy, as it will
need to be on bulk storage rather than the direct local system storage
(which is where the existing Promo folder lives)

>> > Anyways, after some discussions with Paul, I think we have a solution for future events.
>> > The Photos folder on share.kde.org currently hosts photographs for Promo sprint (Barcelona,2018), Akademy (Vienna,2018), FOSDEM (Brussels, 2019) and this year's conf.kde.in (Delhi).
>> > share.kde.org also has good support in terms of user access control- users can be limited to adding new photographs, but not deleting any already uploaded files. I can confirm this works just as expected.
>> > So, the solution proposed here is- we can share read & upload-only permissions to the Photos folder to all KDE identities, and create a new folder per-event.
>> > Would that be feasible?
>>
>> Access to share.kde.org is currently limited to developers and other
>> community members.
>

> That is true. I believe KDE events make use of events.kde.org and reimbursements.kde.org infrastructure that both require an identity to be able to register for an event and/ or ask for any reimbursements respectively. Does that leave any possible uploaders?

There is a distinction for Identity purposes - general users of
Identity cannot login to share.kde.org.
Only developers have automatic access to share.kde.org. Everyone else
needs to apply to Sysadmin (via a ticket) to be given access.

As share.kde.org is only really usable if you have access to one of
the shared folders, this model has not caused any issues to date
(because they have to ask for access to those folders, which is when
we give them access if they're not a developer)

(This was a decision made to ensure it wasn't abused to distribute
material that is illegal / offensive / not in keeping with the values
of the community)

> Best
> Piyush Aggarwal

Cheers,