Tuxedo and reliability (Re: New kde.org/hardware webpage)

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 14:11:36 GMT 2020

Le 2020-01-25 à 02:47, Alexander Neundorf a écrit :
> On Donnerstag, 23. Januar 2020 15:42:15 CET Niccolò Venerandi wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I'm working on adding a kde.org/hardware webpage. You can see screenshot
>> here: https://phabricator.kde.org/D26711. What do you think? ~Niccolò
>> Venerandi
> Regarding Tuxedo: I bought one 5 years ago or so, and it is a good machine.
> But "They provide you with self-programmed driver packages, support,
> installation scripts and everything around our hardware, so that every
> hardware component really works. "
> At least back then, this was not the case, no custom drivers, the fingerprint
> scanner on the laptop does not work.

Did it work on (say) Microsoft Windows?

In any case, this claim comes straight from Tuxedo's website.

> And maybe "They provide custom" instead of "They provide you with self-
> programmed" ?

I was going to write the same, but refrained, because in fact this
brings more questions than it answers:

 1. Who has verified vendor claims before copying them? The one quoted
    by Alexander hasn't even been adapted to our viewpoint.
 2. What comes on these PC-s? Vendor-specific GNU/Linux distributions?
 3. Do we have a process to prevent this page from going outdated? At
    least items #1, #3 and #5 are presented in a highly time-sensitive
    way. Without frequent review, this will quickly reflect poorly not
    just on KDE, but on vendors.

And how do you plan to integrate that page in kde.org?

--
Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com