Tuxedo and reliability (Re: New kde.org/hardware webpage)

Johan Ouwerkerk jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 01:08:06 GMT 2020

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM Philippe Cloutier <chealer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was going to write the same, but refrained, because in fact this brings more questions than it answers:
>
> Who has verified vendor claims before copying them? The one quoted by Alexander hasn't even been adapted to our viewpoint.
> What comes on these PC-s? Vendor-specific GNU/Linux distributions?
> Do we have a process to prevent this page from going outdated? At least items #1, #3 and #5 are presented in a highly time-sensitive way. Without frequent review, this will quickly reflect poorly not just on KDE, but on vendors.
>
> And how do you plan to integrate that page in kde.org?

Well the overriding question here is how do we position the content.
Is this hardware endorsed by KDE or is this a shout out to these
companies that ship things on which you should be able to run KDE
happily without hassle.

I think the first approach is doomed to obsolescence and
misinterpretation of what "endorsed" means in terms of day to day
issues. E.g.: all well and good to have a laptop with high end
graphics, but these days that typically means Nvidia which is right
pain in the neck and unlikely to hit the "just works" sweet spot.

On the other hand, Nate is right: closing the loop matters. For that
matter, it's not just newbies who would benefit: I can see myself
browsing that page when buying new hardware. :)

So I would personally prefer this page being rewritten as a series of
"shout outs" to companies who are doing good or at least better than
average, highlighting why we think they are a good outfit to do
business with but ignoring their pet product of the quarter entirely.
Also, if this is going to be a kde.org page then maybe we want to cut
out the textual smilies :)

Regards,

- Johan