Anonymous contributions

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 21:00:24 BST 2019

 ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:38:04 -0600 Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote ----
 > This hook was implemented in the first place to ensure that people had correctly setup Git on their local machine.
 > On some versions of Git (maybe all?) it will automatically use the local user account name as the name.
 > This leads to people committing as "me", "user" and "nobody" without meaning to, but which still leads to a situation in which the metadata of a commit has ended up being useless.
 > I'd rather maintain a small list of exceptions for those who do have names without a space in them to ensure that for the vast majority of our users do correctly get informed they need to fix their local setup.
 > Cheers,Ben

The only people who have commit access have been specifically granted this privilege. I think it's fair to say that all of them have git set up correctly on their machines by the time they've been approved for commit access. More casual contributors who exhibit this issue always have someone else to push the commit for them, and that person is already responsible for verifying their authorship info.

Nate