Anonymous contributions

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 21:10:54 BST 2019

Am Dienstag, 16. April 2019, 22:00:24 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
>  ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:38:04 -0600 Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>
> wrote ----
>  > This hook was implemented in the first place to ensure that people had
>  > correctly setup Git on their local machine. On some versions of Git
>  > (maybe all?) it will automatically use the local user account name as
>  > the name. This leads to people committing as "me", "user" and "nobody"
>  > without meaning to, but which still leads to a situation in which the
>  > metadata of a commit has ended up being useless. I'd rather maintain a
>  > small list of exceptions for those who do have names without a space in
>  > them to ensure that for the vast majority of our users do correctly get
>  > informed they need to fix their local setup. Cheers,Ben
>
> The only people who have commit access have been specifically granted this
> privilege. I think it's fair to say that all of them have git set up
> correctly on their machines by the time they've been approved for commit
> access.

History has shown that people still (accidentally) reset their git config
(e.g. on new os setup) or, more often, have different git identities and
might accidentally commit with a wrong id (think work vs. personal vs.
otherorg). Sometimes even leaking unwanted info, or misleading copyright
hints (company or personal work).

I wonder if the commit push hook could not actually compare against
identity.kde.org to check for validness of name & email address, at least for
the committer. The schema there already has name & email-address, perhaps
could be extended to allow configuring custom commit name & email address for
those who need.
For the author in case of pushing work of 3rd-party non-identity.kde.org-
registered persons, one could perhaps have a keyword saying "yes I checked
author data of the commit metadata".

Cheers
Friedrich