Anonymous contributions

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Apr 16 22:05:05 BST 2019

 ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:58:26 -0600 Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote ----
 > On dinsdag 16 april 2019 22:31:38 CEST Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
 >
 > > It seems easier to whitelist legitimate mononyms on request...
 >
 > No, no, no! You cannot do that, unless you have an exhaustive list of "valid mononyms" -- and you're still deluding yourself into the assumption that you can code something that can recognize a string as a valid name. You cannot do that. I cannot do that. Nobody can do that. We must stop trying to do that. It's a delusion with bad consequences.

I think he's saying that specific people with known legitimate mononyms should have their names whitelisted, not that there should be an attempt to whitelist some class of mononyms.

This would work, but I like the elegance of Friedrich's idea of a hookscript that validates based on identity credentials instead.

Nate