Discourse

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Dec 4 13:06:17 GMT 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:31 PM Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:

> Il giorno Tue, 4 Dec 2018 12:48:48 +0100
> Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> ha scritto:
>
> > OTOH I also don't understand how the current spam protection works. Do
> > we maintain a list of blacklisted words? Because from what I
> > understand discourse has that built in. Along with blocking by IP.
>
> Yeah, it works something like that. I don't know if it is connected to
> stopforumspam (nor if stopforumspam actually exists anymore), but it
> does "flag" messages on words, number of posts, etc. Moderators then
> can inspect the flagged messages.
>
> The current nice thing (but that's to workaround a huge deficiency of
> the UI in phpBB - perhaps it has changed in recent versions) is that it
> also offers a one-click ban that bans the user and wipes all the posts
> by the same user in one fell swoop.

If there's nothing additional I think all of what we have currently is
already supported out of the box in discourse:

- filters
- easy nuking; looks like this apparently:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/new-user-deleted-for-spam-posts/53647/2

On top of that I also found something else: limited new user abilities
through a trust level system; I would actually encourage forum staff
to read up on this feature [1] as it sounds like something that could
be super nice in practice. It also plays a part in the spam protection
story.

(also see wiki page for some info on that entire feature set [2])

[1] https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/
[2] https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Evaluation/Discourse#Anti-Spam

HS