Bugzilla template problems

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Oct 23 22:16:13 BST 2018

On dinsdag 23 oktober 2018 23:01:21 CEST Nate Graham wrote:

> I understand that this has not been the experience for Krita's bug triagers
> because parts of the template assumes Plasma, and perhaps Krita has a
> larger-than-average percentage of users who fall under category 3. What
> this really suggests to me is that we need per-product templates. If one
> size does not fit all, let's try to make it flexible. This could be a huge
> win for well-triaged products like Krita since you guys usually know
> exactly what information you want to ask bug submitter, and you can tweak
> your Krita-specific template until you find that it substantially improves
> the situation handling bugs from group #3.

Yes, that would be the only solution: the current solution basically assumes
everyone is using the Plasma desktop, and that's just not true. If we cannot
have per-product templates, then the template should be much more explicit
about which parts are relevant in which situation.

You can be as computer literate as possible, but if you're using Windows,
instructions to look up the KDE plasma (what is plasma? it doesn't even add
'desktop') version using the "About System" (how to access that?) just don't
make any sense. And that's already over half of Krita's bug reporters.

And of course, we've got lots of illiterate bug reporters as well, and I'm
working on a mail to start a discussion on how we should have to deal with
those, but until we've got something else than bugzilla for people to report
problems, we need something that helps the illiterate, instead of making them
do useless work. That's a waste of time for the reporter and for the
maintainer.

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org