Call for contributors for Fixture [ Qt5 based raster graphics editor ]

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Sep 21 11:58:41 BST 2018

On vrijdag 21 september 2018 04:10:02 CEST Kuntal Majumder wrote:

> Yes, we are only 2 people, that is why I am looking out for contributors who
> can help.

This all feels a bit like it's 1998 again... See https://krita.org/en/about/
history/. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on your profject, but here are
a few pointers.

Using QGraphicsItems for layers is not an approach that's going to work out.
It will not perform, it will not allow you to go beyond 8 bits sRGB and it
will take too much memory.

If you insist on starting from scratch, and I understand the temptation, you
should:

* consider color management: you cannot do anything useful unless you
understand color management. Check out littlecms and https://poynton.ca/
ColorFAQ.html.

* develop a structure for storing (including swapping), modifying and
retrieving raster data. QGraphicsView actually is a tile engine, but you're
not using it that way. Its level of maintenance in Qt is also low.

* develop a system for undo/redo -- Krita uses Qt's system for that, but if
you want to clone photoshop, you should consider using their system. There's a
presentation from an Adobe engineer at a C++ conference in Moscow that should
help you form an idea. But basically, every modification results in a shallow
clone of the document. You will need this to clone photoshop's history brush.
Google for it, I cannot find the presentation right now.

Then you can start on implementing a real canvas and a tool system.

Right now, you do not have something you can base "a raster graphics editor
which looks and behaves similar to Photoshop" on: I mean that really
seriously.

> And as far as Krita goes, I do already have a patch into it. ;-D

I only remember you from https://phabricator.kde.org/T8198#132594 -- did you
post a patch for review and did I miss that?

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org