FOSDEM retrospective

José Millán Soto jmillan at kde-espana.org
Sat Feb 10 20:57:52 GMT 2018

Hi all,

During FOSDEM we also did ask some questions to the people who came to the
booth based on the three goals we chose last year.
The questions were proposed by Lydia and were:
 - Which is the biggest usability issue you see in your use of KDE software?
 - Ever tried constributing to KDE? What were the biggest hurdles?
 - Do you see KDE as trustworthy when it comes to privacy? why?

Regarding the first question, the answers were as follows:
 - One person said that menu and panels were not intuitive. Tought that GNOME
does that better. Example: It's too easy for an unexperienced user to remove a
panel by mistake.
 - Too much things in the UI. UI seems overloaded.
 - Inconsistently.
 - Tought that design was a bit outdated.
 - Switching MB between 1000 and 1024.
 - A little too heavy, try to make it more modular.

Regarding the second question, all people asked no. Some people however said
that they had reported bugs or gave money on our fundraiser (so I told them
that then that's another way to contribute).
>From the people who gave reasons why they hadn't contribute, one didn't feel
skilled enought; other said that he only knows Java, and other said that he
didn't know where to look at in order to begin to contribute.

Regarding the privacy question, most people answered yes. Some people
mentioned that they trust KDE becouse it's free software and so the code can
be reviewed. One person said that he tought all free software takes privacy
into account. Another person congratulated us on the good improvement on
password management and gpg.
Two people who didn't anwser yes, the first said that it would depend on where
she would download the software (example: would trust if it's installed from a
Debian repository as she trusts Debian, but no if it comes from a random
repository as doesn't have warranty that it's the same program that the one we
had written).
Another person said that he things that KDE is not taking security seriously
enough and we have some serious flaws (example: Xorg runs as root by SDDM).