[kde-community] possible foss alternative to telegram/slack

Oddvar Lovaas oddvar at matrix.org
Tue Jul 26 11:38:19 BST 2016

Hi guys,

just jumping in here after briefly talking to Alex L. in Matrix. As he
might have mentioned, Matrix itself is "just" the open standard. There
are many Matrix-enabled clients - we collect all of them (atleast the
ones we know about!) here:
https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html

We are also working on a feature-rich client for web and mobile called
Vector (vector.im) - and with Matrix' guest access feature you can try
it without having to sign up at https://vector.im/beta/#kde:matrix.org
(This goes directly to a KDE room I just set up).

Mobile clients are available on the Apple and Google stores, as well as
on F-droid.

Matrix is not just messaging though (in fact all we are doing, is
exchanging JSON-blobs), and we natively support VoIP calling via WebRTC.

Matrix wants to link together all communication services, and we already
have an IRC-bridge, a slack-bridge, a gitter bridge and more. The
community have written other bridges, including XMPP and
hubot-integration to Rocket Chat. Again there's a list on
https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html#application-services

I'm happy to try to answer any questions you may have on Matrix/Vector -
either here or in Matrix! It would be great to get you all using Matrix,
and I am very happy to help setting things up for you!

Best regards,
Oddvar