[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this! : Feedback on survey draft

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sun Jun 19 22:58:55 BST 2016

On 19.06.2016 20:19, Jeff Dooley wrote:
> Just to echo Thomas, ensuring high quality is of course a noble > endeavor, and one that the community will no doubt pursue alongside > its
ongoing effort, but it is not an over-arching mission in and of > itself. Ensure
quality, while pursuing <mission>. Yup, I couldn't have said it any better :)
> [...]
web-based products / services >>> >>> Is KDE financialy capable of doing it? Has
KDE other necessarry >>> resources to accomplish it? Will KDE users sponsor it
or pay for >>> it? Will you make it commercial service? >> >> WikiToLearn (
http://wikitolearn.org/ ), for example, is a very >> successful web-based KDE
product. They have acquired their own >> sponsors for infrastructure, which will
probably be a must for any >> web-based product at some point. So yes, it is
possible, but >> probably not with the servers KDE has alone. > > While I
suppose not necessarily a "KDE product," I thought the > showcase here might
have been Owncloud/ Nextcloud. With FOSS, I'm > not sure where/how dividing
lines are drawn. Certainly, Nextcloud is > friendly and outreaches to the KDE
community. Furthermore, they have > had significant success towards the goal
"privacy-respecting > web-based services," and as Owncloud, they have had the
financial > resources to continue growth. Again, not sure whether or not this is
 > "KDE," but I don't think the label matters as much as the > inter-project
collaboration.
I chose WikiToLearn as example instead of own-/Nextcloud simply to avoid
any "but it's not a KDE project!" nitpicking, but it is of course an excellent
example of a very successful FOSS web service which was born out of KDE.
And of course with both the nasty venture capital and the CLA out of the
way, now there is the chance for very close collaboration between KDE
and Nextcloud!
>> Thank you for your feedback!  > > Also, I just want to thank Thomas and other members of kde-community >
that sponsored this survey. In my opinion, the survey questions were > very well
thought out, the overall goal was very clear and extremely > useful. I was very
impressed. I'm sure we will learn a lot. Thank > you!

You are welcome!
I'm glad it shows that online studies have been part of my job for the last
five years :)