[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this! : Feedback on survey draft

Jeff Dooley jfd5xte at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 19:19:55 BST 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 5:00 AM,  <kde-community-request at kde.org> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:38:54 +0200
> From: Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
>
> On 16.06.2016 13:32, sabayon11 wrote:
>> Very interesting survey. I found some issues very controversial.
>>
>> > ...reach as many users as possible, regardless of which operating systems,
>> applications or services they currently use
>>
>> I say no, focus on quality. Be realistic. Don't take to much on your plate.

Just to echo Thomas, ensuring high quality is of course a noble
endeavor, and one that the community will no doubt pursue alongside
its ongoing effort, but it is not an over-arching mission in and of
itself. Ensure quality, while pursuing <mission>.

>> > ...use new online services created by KDE for areas where no freedom- and
>> privacy-respecting services exist
>> > ...offer our own web-based products / services
>>
>> Is KDE financialy capable of doing it? Has KDE other necessarry resources to
>> accomplish it? Will KDE users sponsor it or pay for it? Will you make it
>> commercial service?
>
> WikiToLearn ( http://wikitolearn.org/ ), for example, is a very successful
> web-based KDE product. They have acquired their own sponsors for infrastructure,
> which will probably be a must for any web-based product at some point. So yes,
> it is possible, but probably not with the servers KDE has alone.

While I suppose not necessarily a "KDE product," I thought the
showcase here might have been Owncloud/ Nextcloud. With FOSS, I'm not
sure where/how dividing lines are drawn. Certainly, Nextcloud is
friendly and outreaches to the KDE community. Furthermore, they have
had significant success towards the goal "privacy-respecting web-based
services," and as Owncloud, they have had the financial resources to
continue growth. Again, not sure whether or not this is "KDE," but I
don't think the label matters as much as the inter-project
collaboration.

> Thank you for your feedback!

Also, I just want to thank Thomas and other members of kde-community
that sponsored this survey. In my opinion, the survey questions were
very well thought out, the overall goal was very clear and extremely
useful. I was very impressed. I'm sure we will learn a lot. Thank you!