[kde-community] Telegram Relay Service

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue May 10 09:54:45 BST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Speaking as maintainer of a project which heavily uses Telegram: it
> allows
> >> backlogging and it is usable from behind any connection. For me it is
> >> impossible to connect to IRC from the University, the University campus
> or
> >> the
> >> research labs.
> >

> > Why?
>
> Universities usually firewall their internet connections to permit
> only port 80 and 443 outbound.
> Sometimes you have to use an authenticated proxy to do that as well.
>
> If you're lucky some universities will allow port 22 (SSH) outbound.
>
> This makes IRC unavailable obviously, although tools such as Telegram,
> Slack, etc. which all use https and websockets to function work
> perfectly fine.

I am not sure that I can realise the obvious here. I had used IRC in such
an environment for years. If I recall it correctly, all I needed was an
interim box. In worst case, I am sure that this would not be a problem for
the KDE infrastructure to help a few KDE contributors in that case out. If
it was, we need to think about a solution for the community in my opinion.