[kde-community] Telegram Relay Service

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue May 10 09:50:50 BST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On sabato 7 maggio 2016 18:23:10 CEST Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> > I wonder why nobody
>> > examined this POV before starting to shift to Telegram. In this regard
>> > Mattermost appears to make much more sense as we could run it on our
>> > own servers, if we really need a phone client.
>>
>> Speaking as maintainer of a project which heavily uses Telegram: it allows
>> backlogging and it is usable from behind any connection. For me it is
>> impossible to connect to IRC from the University, the University campus or
>> the
>> research labs.
>

> Why?

Universities usually firewall their internet connections to permit
only port 80 and 443 outbound.
Sometimes you have to use an authenticated proxy to do that as well.

If you're lucky some universities will allow port 22 (SSH) outbound.

This makes IRC unavailable obviously, although tools such as Telegram,
Slack, etc. which all use https and websockets to function work
perfectly fine.

Regards,
Ben