[kde-community] Telegram Relay Service

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue May 10 09:51:04 BST 2016

On martedì 10 maggio 2016 09:42:06 CEST Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > Speaking as maintainer of a project which heavily uses Telegram: it allows
> > backlogging and it is usable from behind any connection. For me it is
> > impossible to connect to IRC from the University, the University campus or
> > the
> > research labs.
>
> Why?

The two main reasons I have seen are:

	* it falls outside the typical whitelist that institutes have (which
usually only allows http/https/vpn/ssh)
	* in research labs (e.g. CERN), it is actively blocked to protect the
security of the users (as IRC does not mask hostnames by default, machines
with good internet connection can become intresting targets)

either way, it's getting increasingly difficult to use these services, which
is why we started off with Telegram, at least in the beginning.

Bye,
-Riccardo