[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Apr 27 21:46:01 BST 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
wrote:

people can buy a tablet with e.g. plasma mobile pre-installed is VERY hard,
> probably not doable, and I think the Vivaldi team tried really hard.
> From my POV for mobile/embedded that's actually even harder than for PCs,
> where you have standardized hardware.
>
> So, do we see a place where it could take off ?

Sure we do.

About 3.5 years ago, I made a proposal to run KDE software on Android Core
instead of Mer:

http://www.elpauer.org/2012/09/plasma-active-on-android/

Two weeks ago, at Akademy-es, when I saw the current status of Plasma
Mobile (essentially only works where Ubuntu Phone works), I asked.

What Bhushan is doing is very good: LXC containers on top of CyanogenMod.
That opens Plasma Mobile to essentially every platform where CyanogenMod
works. It is a huge leap from the current state of affairs.

What I would like to see is one step further, the same proposal I made 3.5
years ago: get rid of Android UI and run Plasma Mobile on top of Android
Core. In fact, let's have a "Plasma Mobile ROM Cooker" that takes an
official ROM for your Android device, de-Androidizes it, and then injects
Plasma Mobile for Android Core (I think Boot to Qt does something in that
line). That would make Plasma Mobile run on essentially every Android
device with an unlocked bootloader, and quick: hardware support comes from
Android Core.

Chinese Android TV box retailers in AliExpress are already offering (and
doing) to replace Android with OpenELEC (I ported OpenELEC myself to one of
those boxes!). No warranty and everything but they do it and you receive a
TV Box with a pure Linux OpenELEC. It would not be crazy to provide them
with Android Core-based Plasma Mobile ROM sfor a few popular phones (THL,
XiaoMi, Doogee, ZTE, etc), and see if they want to sell them. In fact, as
of today, if you want a Jolla tablet with Sailfish, they fastest and
cheapest way is to buy the tablet from a Chinese retailer in TaoBao and ask
them to install the Sailfish OS 2.0 ROM (they explicitly advertise it!).

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org