[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 20:57:37 BST 2016

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 07:58:14 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Of course there is push-back in your mail. Basically you told us we are
> wasting our time trying to do a mobile shell which could replace Android.
> That's the pushback I'm talking about. We have seen this for years since we
> started with Plasma Active.

I had a pre-order on the Vivaldi tablet, so believe me, I would really like to
see it succeed. And I am honestly wondering why it does not take off.
My conclusion from the failed Vivaldi effort: getting to a state where normal
people can buy a tablet with e.g. plasma mobile pre-installed is VERY hard,
probably not doable, and I think the Vivaldi team tried really hard.
>From my POV for mobile/embedded that's actually even harder than for PCs,
where you have standardized hardware.

So, do we see a place where it could take off ?

> And now see this in the context of you concluding anything from the GENIVI
> mail. Who would dare to answer on a public mailing list that he is
> interested to look into it, if the most likely outcome is, that other
> people tell him that he's wasting his time.

You are completely misunderstanding me.
When I saw this from Agustin, I thought, wow, that may be finally THE chance
for plasma in the embedded space. There, every device/machine has custom
hardware and custom UI software, and the companies spend many payed man months
and years on the UI development. Some of those could go that way via plasma
into KDE. :-)

Alex