[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 06:58:14 BST 2016

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 10:41:19 PM CEST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 07:44:03 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>
> > And yes from the wider community we don't get the support for such things
> > in Plasma. Rather the opposite. We get pushback for anything leaving the
> > traditional desktop. Constantly. Just like your mail here.
>
> Sorry, I don't see any "pushback" in my mail. I wrote "I'd love to see it".
> And that "unfortunately it's not happening". That's my observation, and I'd
> much prefer to have a different impression.

Of course there is push-back in your mail. Basically you told us we are
wasting our time trying to do a mobile shell which could replace Android.
That's the pushback I'm talking about. We have seen this for years since we
started with Plasma Active. There is a strong pushback from parts of the
community, telling us what we should do and what we should not do. It's
speaking that you don't even realize what you wrote.

Of course nobody giving us the pushback realizes the level of overlap there
is, how features coming from "mobile" get back to the desktop, etc. etc. The
mobile efforts in Plasma are extremely important for our desktop. It's where
we can roll out new ideas, new technologies. The constant pushback though, is
very derailing.

And now see this in the context of you concluding anything from the GENIVI
mail. Who would dare to answer on a public mailing list that he is interested
to look into it, if the most likely outcome is, that other people tell him
that he's wasting his time.

Cheers,
Martin