[kde-community] Fwd: KDE Vision – towards “wholesame” solutions

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 20:32:01 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 19:12:35 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2016 23:57:56 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I mean, we are not targetting e.g. sensor networks built from 8bit uCs
> > communicating to some big online server, with no user intervention
> > (which would fit that description too), or are we ?
>
> Please don't speak for me. You've made it absolutely clear that _you_
> are only interested in GUI. That's totally fine. We need people who
> focus on (G)UI applications. But we also need people who focus on non-
> GUI-stuff. A large part of Frameworks 5 is non-GUI-stuff. Akonadi (and
> its spin-off) is non-GUI stuff.

Sure.
Still, all or most of this has been written in order to build first class GUI
applications. I mean, Akonadi is there to make the kdepim apps work nicely.

> Therefore, I'm against a-priori excluding anybody who is not interested
> in (G)UI applications from KDE by restricting ourselves in our vision to
> (G)UI applications.
>
> Of course, the mission statement can mention that we _mostly_ (but not
> entirely) focus on (G)UI applications and supporting libraries and
> services.

Yes.
But is this really necessary ? To me, to concentrate or focus on something
does not imply not doing anything else, and software which supports that
focused item to me does not even count as "something else".
E.g. at work I'm typically concentrated on the big features for the next
release, but of course other stuff also gets done by the way.

I am really wondering why so many people are interpreting
https://community.kde.org/KDE/VisionDraftA as "we do GUI and want to exclude
every single library and executable which doesn't have a GUI".
Which part or wording gives that impression ?

Alex