[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Feb 11 00:14:12 GMT 2016

On Friday 05 February 2016 08:20:22 Martin Graesslin wrote:

> Thus now my question: How will this vision provide us guidance for the next
> disruption? How will we be able to use this vision to be a leader in the
> next disruption? Please explain why you think that the vision will help in
> the next disruption. If you don't think that the vision is for that please
> also explain why you think that. E.g. if you think we shouldn't care about
> the next disruption, please explain the reasoning for it.

I'm not sure if disruption is the right target for us. It is a term mostly
used in context of disrupting a commercial market. Sure the commercial market
for desktops has been disrupted by mobile and other factors, it's hard to sell
desktop software, Microsoft is looking hard for other business models, Apple
is already giving away their software for free. But this is not affecting us
in the same way, we don't lose the opportunity to make money, on the contrary,
we actually gain an opportunity to provide desktop software, because we have a
sustainable model how to produce this without a commercial market.

I'm all for innovation, creating new stuff, riding waves of new technology.
But on the other hand there also is a lot of value in simply scratching your
own itch, in focusing on bringing freedom to technology-wise established
markets, and playing to our strengths.

I'm perfectly fine with a vision which provides me with a perspective to give
me control and freedom of my own computing needs, and leave being the uber of
mobile big data cloud containers to somebody else.