[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 21:58:46 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, February 09, 2016 11:59:26 Marco Martin wrote:
> I fear a part of the explanation is very simple and very sad...
> the first time around every participant was young and willing to ride the
> change, today several generations are living together in KDE

here is the mail from Matthias Ettrich:
https://www.kde.org/documentation/posting.txt

This is from 1996. Windows 95 existed. Matthias suggested to use Qt, so
there'll be a common widget set, and he proposed to develop (from the mail) a
panel, a file manager, a mail client, a text editor and an image viewer.
Nothing of that was new or disruptive in 1996, what was new was to do that as
free software for UNIX/X11. Very concrete goals with a clear technical choice.

Alex