[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 14:37:54 GMT 2016

Il Wed, 03 Feb 2016 15:25:36 +0100, Martin Graesslin ha scritto:

> migration need to be handled better with more collaboration. E.g. GNOME
> notifying distros early about their wish to upgrade, those notifying
> other projects about the requirement to upgrade.

This happened: the GNOME team @ openSUSE asked us about our plans w/
GStreamer, so we worked out a plan. I hope this wasn't meant as a "bad"
example, this is the first one that came into mind.

I'll give you another: KAuth (KF5) was blocked for *ages* in openSUSE
Tumbleweed because of a security issue (a race condition) and there was no
real maintainer upstream to answer the concerns of the security team. Once
I found out, I poked a lot of people until Martin Sandsmark (another
Martin ;) was able to fix it and even get a CVE out of it.

This is another "policy" that can affect negatively the time software
takes to arrive to end users, but as you can see in this case, the issue
wasn't just "it's our $POLICY".

Now, the plan is to find either a common ground or a compromise that at
least workarounds these issues. I hope I don't sound like I'm pointing
fingers here, because that's not my intention.

> One could also say that this results into "all DEs are crappy". And then
> the egalitarian distro will suffer compared to those which are not.

I can't speak for the others, but the distro I contribute to strives for
the best regardless of the desktop. </advertisement> ;)

> Like you contact the KDE team about a problem and it goes nowhere
> because it's not their area of expertise.

That's just a side effect of the large FOSS communities, I think. Nothing
that can't be fixed, of course.

Having "contact people" for the distros that package KDE software would be
a good starting point.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter