[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 14:25:36 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:15:37 PM CET Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Il Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:57:02 +0100, Martin Graesslin ha scritto:
> > Yes I know, that's the obvious reply you get from distros. And I call
> > BULLSHIT to that. If a distribution ships with a broken bluetooth setup,
>
> Let me get the reverse in: we had to jump through several hoops at
> openSUSE because GNOME needed GStreamer 1.0 and Phonon only supported 0.10
> at the time.

yes I know. On the other hand it's also a problem of gstreamer if two versions
cannot be installed at the same time. And of course such migration need to be
handled better with more collaboration. E.g. GNOME notifying distros early
about their wish to upgrade, those notifying other projects about the
requirement to upgrade.

> We worked this out, but as you can see is a problem that affects *all*
> software, not just ours

which is awesome! As I wrote there is a solution to each problem. One just
needs to want to (and yes I know that finding solutions might conflict with
release schedules and what not).

> . And especially in "egalitarian" distros, where
> all desktops and software have the same dignity, this is bound to happen.

One could also say that this results into "all DEs are crappy". And then the
egalitarian distro will suffer compared to those which are not.

> > a reason to ship them all broken? If they need different conflicting
> > technologies one can conflict in the packages.
>
> Where we can do something, we can. But don't forget that like KDE, distros
> are sets of people. e.g., you may all know everything about KWin, but not
> about Krita, I know what's going on in the KDE side of openSUSE, but not
> the minutiae of the GNOME team. And for larger distros like Debian, this
> is even more relevant.
>
> There are places where ideas are discussed, and solution proposed. But
> don't think everyone knows about everything. So issues like these will
> always occur.

This is something I have unfortunately noticed in bad ways too often. Like you
contact the KDE team about a problem and it goes nowhere because it's not
their area of expertise.

Cheers
Martin