[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 14:15:37 GMT 2016

Il Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:57:02 +0100, Martin Graesslin ha scritto:

> Yes I know, that's the obvious reply you get from distros. And I call
> BULLSHIT to that. If a distribution ships with a broken bluetooth setup,

Let me get the reverse in: we had to jump through several hoops at
openSUSE because GNOME needed GStreamer 1.0 and Phonon only supported 0.10
at the time.

We worked this out, but as you can see is a problem that affects *all*
software, not just ours. And especially in "egalitarian" distros, where
all desktops and software have the same dignity, this is bound to happen.

> a reason to ship them all broken? If they need different conflicting
> technologies one can conflict in the packages.

Where we can do something, we can. But don't forget that like KDE, distros
are sets of people. e.g., you may all know everything about KWin, but not
about Krita, I know what's going on in the KDE side of openSUSE, but not
the minutiae of the GNOME team. And for larger distros like Debian, this
is even more relevant.

There are places where ideas are discussed, and solution proposed. But
don't think everyone knows about everything. So issues like these will
always occur.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter