[kde-community] About ocs-server future

Francesco Wofford francescowofford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:48:39 GMT 2016

Since I'm directly involved in the project (mostly on the client side) I
chime in. I admit that I stopped developing my part of the project as the
GSoC ended but I was forced to do so, let me explain why: as it was already
said, soon after the GSoC ended a sort of meeting about “the future of ocs”
was planned. I was not invited to it nor officially informed about it, I
knew about it only because Claudio kindly informed me about what was going
on. I do understand why I wasn't invited, in fact I'm not a project manager
as Claudio or Dan but I still don't get why that meeting wasn't announced
at least in the irc #ocs channel. We both (Claudio and I) felt that either
great changes to the project or a new project was in the air so that was
the reason why I stopped working to it: I was waiting to see what the
future of the project itself could be.. I like to code but I don't see the
point in blindly developing without knowing if what I do is useful or not
and I'm almost sure that Claudio thinks in the same way. After the meeting
took place I waited for days a follow up that never come.. I totally missed
what the scope of our project should be and when I asked to my mentor for
clarifications no answers were given.
Sebas to me it seems, and I may be wrong, that you're trying to address
Claudio as “the greedy guy with no open free collaboration mind”; if this
is the case I have to correct you, he spent 4 years of his life
contributing to KDE and also ruined his carrier at the University because
he was believing in what he was doing (I can assure that having programming
experience at our University does not help at all). From what I get,
knowing him in person, he felt that he was going to loose his current
position to the project in sake of another one and was not so happy about
it (even if we both are hoping for a great future of OCS) so considering
that he was going trough a not so good economic situation and knowing that
at BS there are people payed to develop on KDE he asked if a symbolic
amount to contribute to a project that was different from the one he was
exactly hoping to do. Well... we are humans, I think that position, maybe
if it is not in the completely “free collaboration” spirit is at least
understandable. I think that we can't define him only for having asked that.

As the others I'd like also to have some clarification about the future of
OCS and I'm aware that my code is not perfect, my idea was to improve
myself while helping the community

Woffy