[kde-community] Trying to schematize the discussion on github

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Sep 20 14:31:16 BST 2015

Hi,

I feel like the threads on github are becoming a little bit unordered. This is
my attempt to re-organize the key concepts, concerns and positions (please
pardon me in advance if I didn't understand all the positions correctly).
Please answer if you have additional positions, but let's try to keep it
ordered, at least by numbers.

1) Github is a promotional channel for KDE. This is why we want to have a
mirror on it.

This was part of the original proposal, and I think it's a point on which most
people agreed. We're exposing our software to the "social network for
hackers", a target in which we are interested.

2) Pull requests are already open and not disableable.

The real problem is how to answer to them. I see emerging a few positions
here.

2.1) Answer them automatically with a bot rejecting it and saying "sorry, we
do not allow pull requests, if you want to contribute please re-submit it to
<link>".

2.2) People who think that 2.1 is a communication mistake, and would like to
take the work and apply the patch on git.kde.org (in case it's good or trivial
changes, e.g. fixing spelling mistakes), putting it on reviewboard otherwise
and encouraging the user to follow-up there. They are not advocating moving
code review on Github, and are actually explicitly against that.

2.3) An "in-between" position. People who would create an automated bot that
can take the pull request, submit it to reviewboard automatically
(indipendently of the size/complexity of the patch), and report this process
to the pull requestor. They also don't want code reviews on github.

3) Other github usages.

3.1) By enabling pull requests it is possible to get additional funding for
development. It would be nice to use them in order to access these resources.

3.2) All the other github features should be banned.

I hope I managed to represent all your positions and points open to
discussion, please add a numbered point if I didn't. I am personally for 2.3
and leaning towards 3.1. I am sorry for opening yet another thread, but I feel
that after hundreds of e-mail we need a little bit of re-organization...

Bye,
-Riccardo