[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Sep 20 14:13:54 BST 2015

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 06:39:02 PM Bhushan Shah wrote:
> We don't need to replace Facebook.. tada.
>
> Facebook is not part of our development nor anything.. So lets not
> compare with facebook.. When we talk about github and do our reviews
> there. It will be recorded there and if github goes down we will loose
> our data. Also in case we need to relicense stuff it would be
> impossible to track down contributor from github.

Facebook *is* part of our development (not code development, promo
development, but still development it is), and nobody is advocating doing
reviews on github.

About relicensing, contacting people is really something hard, with or without
github. With our history of development, we had thousands and thousands of
contributors of whom we have lost traces, including all the patches via e-mail
and so on. Our only defense here is having permissive enough licenses (e.g.
GPLv2+), not counting on our ability to track down developers. Github won't
make it worse.

Bye,
-Riccardo