[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 01:29:01 BST 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Saturday, September 19, 2015 02:12:13 AM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > I would prefer us to be more pragmatic. If an adequate free-software
> > > tool exists, lets try to use it. If a proprietary tool provides a
> > > better experience lets use that. For my own projects I will advocate
> > > reviewboard/phabricator, but I'm comfortable excepting a fly-by patch
> > > on github. Specially since they provide a simple web-UI for making
> > > changes.
> >
> > Bollocks, github is awful to use, it took me like 15 minutes to learn how
> > to  submit a patch, just because you're used to it doesn't mean it's
> > easier.
>
> It depends where other people are!
>
> If a developer has a small fix to propose, and can just hack it through and
> use a known account and a familiar interface, so be it... github's
> interface
> is not magical just like KDE's one is not. ;-)
>
> +1

Albert, I think you are just used to reviewboard, it took me weeks to get
used to review board ;)

>From what I've read in this thread, nobody is against having Github solely
as a mirror. I propose we do that, mirror, and we leave pull requests and
issues as an opt-in feature.

>From my experience, I was already mirroring KDE Connect in Github and I've
received valuable patches there. That's a big enough reason for me to want
Github's pull requests (and to spend 15 minutes learning how to use them),
but I understand not everybody wants to learn a new and non-free tool.

Albert