[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 08:42:57 BST 2015

On Friday, September 18, 2015 5:29:01 PM CEST Albert Vaca wrote:
> From my experience, I was already mirroring KDE Connect in Github and I've
> received valuable patches there. That's a big enough reason for me to want
> Github's pull requests (and to spend 15 minutes learning how to use them),
> but I understand not everybody wants to learn a new and non-free tool.

I'm subscribed to kde-connects review requests for reviewboard. How am I as an
interested developer able to follow the code review for github pull requests
if I don't want to use them?

Basically by the decision to opt-in for pull requests you force the complete
team to follow them. Otherwise not-reviewed code gets in.

We really need to think in the big picture of what means this to KDE. We
shouldn't go the "selfish" road and think of your own project. By allowing
github pull-requests we are pushing out the contributors who don't want to use
it. You make it impossible for those contributors to comment on review
requests, thus you have split the development.

This is scary. Please don't think "selfish". Let people create the pull
request and answer it with:
"Sorry we do not support git hub pull request. To submit code please use
reviewboard.kde.org. Here's how you do it..."

The point is we want to get to the people on github. That's why we mirror.
It's not about getting pull requests. We want the people! They already spent
the effort to create the patch, they will spent the additional time to get to
reviewboard of phabricator in future. I have so often got patches on bugzilla
and it never was a problem to tell them "please use reviewboard for the patch
submission as the UI is more streamlined for code review". We always got the
patch into reviewboard. The aim of the people is not to use pull requests, the
aim is to submit their patch!

Cheers
Martin