[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 08:05:09 BST 2015

Hi,

Thank you for starting this thread.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Jos Poortvliet
<jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 17 August 2015 07:46:44 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> Hi community,
>>
>> over the last months I observed the following:
>> * people not finding our git repositories
>> * people being surprised that our code is not on github
>> * some projects starting to use github in addition to our own
>> infrastructure

In my opinion first two are too wrong arguments to begin with.. If our
repositories can not be found from outside then it requires
improvement from our side. Putting source code on Github is not going
to solve this problem. Even if people will use github to search
projects eventually they will have to use our infrastructure to
contribute. And about people being surprised that our code is not on
Github, it is really clear that Github is _not_ standard place to get
open source software.

> I'd say the main benefit of Github is that it makes it easy for the many
> developers used to it to do a pull request - effectively widening our
> potential contributor base. Some might send in one or two minor pull
> requests, not being interested in becoming regular contributors, others might
> be convinced, after a few patches, to join KDE and then get on our
> infrastructure.

On other side it will be hard project management wise to monitor two
places for new patches/contributions.. and eventually people will
start to report bugs or issues there and that is going to be mess.. It
will be like someone fixes bug on our infrastructure just to realize
in end that someone sent pull requests on github.

Also there are some problems with Github that I am sure going to make
our sysadmins life little bit harder, like email address verification
and stuffs like that. We have seen this problems when importing code
from the Github.

So, In short IMO there is nothing wrong with having Github mirror but
that should be read-only and we should have real reason to do it.
Currently sysadmins are reworking our git infrastructure. So lets wait
little bit and see how it goes and then think of this.

Thanks!

--
Bhushan Shah

http://bhush9.github.io