[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:54:18 BST 2015

On Monday 17 August 2015 07:46:44 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Hi community,
>
> over the last months I observed the following:
> * people not finding our git repositories
> * people being surprised that our code is not on github
> * some projects starting to use github in addition to our own
> infrastructure
>
> Whether we like it or not, github has become a place to look for free
> software nowadays and if you are not on github your software just doesn't
> exist. Given that we can say KDE doesn't produce source code because we
> are not on github.
>
> Other projects have an official mirror (see e.g. [1]) which solves the
> three points I have listed above.
>
> I suggest that we:
> * introduce an official mirror for all KDE repositories on github
> * replace all existing (non-official) clones
> * disallow pull-requests on github to not replace our development model by
> a proprietary platform.

I'd say the main benefit of Github is that it makes it easy for the many
developers used to it to do a pull request - effectively widening our
potential contributor base. Some might send in one or two minor pull
requests, not being interested in becoming regular contributors, others might
be convinced, after a few patches, to join KDE and then get on our
infrastructure.

Why make people first join a mailing list and/or go through other hoops
before we allow them to help make KDE better?

Of course, you can leave it up to individual sub projects if they're
interested in more contributions or not.

--
Disclaimer:
find me on blog.jospoortvliet.com