[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 08:16:02 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:35:09PM +0530, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> In my opinion first two are too wrong arguments to begin with.. If our
> repositories can not be found from outside then it requires
> improvement from our side. Putting source code on Github is not going
> to solve this problem.

I don't think improving discoverability of our own infrastructure and putting
mirrors of our code on Github are mutually exclusive. I think both will
improve our "visibility" so to speak.

> Even if people will use github to search projects eventually they will have
> to use our infrastructure to contribute.

In my opinion all of our projects should have a short description about how
and where to send us their patches, even if we don't push things to Github.
If we ensure that our git repositories can be found via search engines people
still need to know how to contribute.

And I think lowering the threshold for people to contribute in general is
also something that should be done (and is being worked on already), and is a
bit separate from this thing about mirroring stuff on Github.

> And about people being surprised that our code is not on Github, it is
> really clear that Github is _not_ standard place to get open source
> software.

We might think so, but I don't think the rest of the world agrees.

> So, In short IMO there is nothing wrong with having Github mirror but
> that should be read-only and we should have real reason to do it.
> Currently sysadmins are reworking our git infrastructure. So lets wait
> little bit and see how it goes and then think of this.

Yeah, I agree that the reworking of our own infrastructure should be
prioritized, and we should disable the pull requests, bug reporting, etc. for
everything we put on github.

--
Martin Sandsmark